Thursday 12 November 2009

The Railway Station and Harbour


click to enlarge
© copyright Mike Stephen. Thanks to Mike for allowing me to use his work and also grateful thanks to officials of the Great North of Scotland Railway Association (GNSRA) for their assistance.
This photograph was taken on the 13th April 1968 just a few weeks before the line closed forever

I think you will agree that this is a powerful picture and one that's sure to evoke memories of a time not too long ago when everything seemed so much better. Not only has the railway gone, the two buildings at the side of the harbour are no longer there.
If you look closely you can see the breach in the north wall of the harbour, thankfully repaired by the Gurkhas (69th Gurkha Independant Field Squadron) in the eighties.
I do know that this site is visited from many parts of the globe and I hope the picture reminds you of the place that perhaps was your home at one time.
Next chance I get I'll take a picture from the same viewpoint so that you can compare today with yesterday

Here's a link to the GNSRA website

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication to avoid spam (junk mail)